Molly McCoy’s Granny Smith Caramel Apple Pie
Pie Filling Ingredients
1 tbsp water
6 or 7 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
dash of salt
2 tbsps unsalted butter to dot on the top
All-Butter Basic Crust Ingredients
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, very cold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar, plus extra for final sprinkling
6-8 tbsp ice water
1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
- Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Pulse until mixed. Add cubed butter. Pulse 6 or 8 times until the butter is pea-sized and the mixture looks like coarse meal. Next add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time. Pulse until the mixture just begins to clump. If you pinch some of the crumbly dough and it holds together, it’s ready. If the dough doesn’t hold together, add a little more water and pulse again. Caution: too much water will make the crust tough.
- Place the dough in a mound on a clean surface. Shape the dough mixture into two disks, one for the bottom crust, one for the top. Work the dough gently to form the disks. Don’t over-knead. They will result in a flakier crust. Sprinkle a little flour around the disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate from 1 hour to 2 days.
- Remove a crust disk from the refrigerator. Let it sit at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes. This will soften it enough for easier rolling. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 12-inch circle, about 1/8 of an inch thick. If the dough begins to stick to the surface below, sprinkle some flour underneath. Carefully place the bottom crust into a 9-inch pie plate, pressing the dough gently into the bottom and sides of the pie pan. Trim excess dough, leaving about 1/2 inch more than the edge of the pie pan.
- Melt the caramels and water in a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water; heat for 10 minutes or until the caramels are partially melted. Cover and set aside, keeping the caramels in the pan over the heated water.
- Peel and core the apples, then slice thinly so they will be soft when cooked. Combine the sugar, flour, spices, and salt. Mix with the apples. Add the melted caramels and stir to mix. Pour into the pie shell. Dot butter across the filling.
- Remove the other crust from the refrigerator, let it sit at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes, then roll it into a 12-inch circle about 1/8-inch thick. Add the top crust to the pie, then crimp and flute the edges. Lightly brush the top crust with an egg wash made by whisking 1 large egg with 1 tablespoon of water, sprinkle sugar on top for sparkle, and then score the top crust with 4 slices.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the pie on the middle rack of the oven with a cookie sheet beneath to catch any filling that bubbles over. Bake for 50 minutes.
- Let the pie cool before serving. Serve cold, or warm the pie and serve with ice cream.